"The shapely hulls of vessels lying at anchorage . . . show that boating and yachting are among the liberally patronized amusements here. "Sailing excursions out to the islands and around through the Bay are the most popular amusements.
"Immediately in front of Pass Christian is one of the largest oyster beds in this portion of the Gulf. A fleet of 40 or 50 is busy collecting these inexhaustible stores of seafood.
"The sea-shooting on the nearest islands is fine, ducks, geese, curlew and snipe being found in abundance. Quail shooting is fair. Splendid deer and turkey shooting is enjoyed by camping parties.
The Municipal Harbor was formalized in 1956 with the creation of a Harbor Commission in response to a new 1 mill revenue enactment established by the Harrison County Supervisors. Supporting the Commission was a Harbor Advisory Committee composed of representatives of the Yacht Club, fishers and packers.
In 1958, an 11-foot high, 350-foot long, concrete, breakwater wall was constructed into the Sound by the T.L. James Company. There are only two such concrete harbor walls in the World, the other is in Japan.
During the 60s, more rip-rap was dumped into the Sound, followed by dredging, which provided space for more piers and berths.
Following major repairs from "Camille" damages, the Pass Christian Municipal Harbor today is the most picturesque marina along the entire coast. Through matching funds programs, the City officials have coordinated with the "Harbor Master Plan" in offering a beautiful recreation area which is currently under renewed development with the completion of a children's park. The playground area will be complete with swings, see-saws, merry-go-rounds, barbecue-pits and three picnic shelters. Also provided are three drive-through parking areas surrounding the north end and east and west sides of the harbor. Spaces provide for a total of 220 automobiles and 100 vehicles with boat trailers, which have easy access to two boat ramps.
Circa 1940s before Basin Dredging and Wall Tower enclosure.
Almost 1000 linear feet of public fishing is permitted on the two break-walls, in addition to a sheltered fishing pavilion above piling. The Harbor consists of seven piers, four are assigned for pleasure craft and three for commercial vessels. There are 346 slips ranging in berth sizes from 31-feet to 84-feet, in addition to a skiff-pier providing 20 tie-ups. Services include, water, electricity, showers, restrooms, and a bait and fuel station. A vessel pump-out station is also available.
A two-story Harbor Master office building also provides a lower level public restroom facility.
Early beach life showing the Olga II